1. Bee Vang of UW-River Falls has been selected for the 2014-15 Emerging Leaders class.
2. WAEOPP held its election for the 2014-15 Executive Board in October, with the results to be announced at the WAEOPP Business Meeting in November.
3. WAEOPP membership is currently at 95 members.
4. WAEOPP met and exceeded our Fair Share this year at 129%. Thanks to Myra Gilreath for her efforts with Fair Share and a big thank you to WAEOPP for another great year for Fair Share for WAEOPP.
5. WAEOPP was represented by 15 professionals at the COE Policy Seminar in ashington, D.C. March 23-25. We met with seven congressional offices and with Senator Tammy Baldwin’s office. Thanks to Myra Gilreath, T Ullrich and Jacob Conklin for serving as team leaders for our Hill visits.
6. As part of their ELI training, Jacob Conklin and Karen Smolraek attended the National College Opportunity Programs Leadership Summit In Washington, D.C. which preceded the Policy Seminar, March 22-23.
7. WAEOPP held its annual conference at the Country Springs Resort in Pewaukee, WI
April 23-25. The conference theme was “Get Energized, Gain Strength, Get Moving!” 42 professionals were in attendance. Among our conference presenters were:
Dr. Jonathan McKenzie,
Dr. Victor Schueller,
our Wisconsin ELI’s Jacob Conklin and Karen Smolarek,
Kimberly Jones from COE (via Skype) and MAEOPP President Annette Horvat. During the conference, tribute was paid to Reilly O’Halloran for his many years of service to TRIO and wishing him a happy retirement. Many thanks to Erin Souik and her conference committee for putting together a wonderful conference.
8. WAEOPP held its Spring Business meeting during the conference. Among the discussions during the meeting was consideration of changing the WAEOPP name and the viability of continuing to have a tri-state conference with Minnesota and Iowa.
9. The WAEOPP McNair/SSS Retreat was held September 26-27, 2014 at the Chula Vista Resort in Wisconsin Dells, WI. 200 people were in attendance at the conference. Many thanks to committee chair Nancy Harrison for her work on the conference and working with Helms Briscoe to secure a site for the 2015-17 retreats, which will continue to held at the Chula Vista Resort.
A tickler message from your WAEOPP 2015 Spring Conference co-chairs:
Sarah Jo Dahlstrom (Associate Director of Operations/Forward Service Corporation) &
Trudy Bement (Academic Coordlnator/UWEC)
We are looking forward to another great spring conference in 2015!
To pull this off, we are seeking eager committee leaders to help with our planning. Please talk with your
institutions and commit your name to the great mix at leaders for the next spring conference.
There Is an abundance of opportunities for you to get Involved. Below you will find the various committees far
your choosing. More detail will come after the 40th Annual MAEOPP fall conference In November.
For now, we are looking to fill each committee with interested members. If you'd like to be chair of one of these
committees, please state so.
® Call For Proposals (2.-3 members)
® Registration (2.-4 members)
® TRIO Achievers (2-3 members)
® Funtivity (2.-3 members)
® Donations/Sponsorships (2-3 members)
All you need to do is If interested in this great committee, email Trudy Bementt at BEMENTTM@uwec.edu
We thank you in advance for your leadership efforts!
WAEOPP Social Media
Please, browse our site and engage with our programs.
The members of the Wisconsin Association of Educational Opportunity Program Personnel are committed to creating bright futures for our participants through promising practices, dedication, and pride in the work we do.
Nate, Erin and Jake at MAEOPP 2013
Copyright 2012 Wisconsin Association of Educational Opportunity Program Personnel. All rights reserved.